What is this ‘professional look’ anyway? If you are professional – lawyer, engineer, doctor, architect and etc. you are supposed to have this certain look and other than that you are not ‘professional’ enough? You are expected to carry certain image that so called a proper look for the line you are working. Is it really necessary? Why?
Since I shaved my head and keep this bald head image, I received a lot of comments from the people around me. Then, to add to the current bald head image, some of them know that I have a tattoo on my back, and I pierced my lower lip and I wear things like rings on my fingers and bracelet on my wrist. Not very long ago, when I still have my hair, I went for a perm. I even dyed my hair few times after I started working. Not a very ‘normal’ look for an engineer heh? Here are some funny (to me) comments and questions I received pertaining to my ‘look’.
– Your boss is okay with your look? (referring to my bald head)
– You can go out to meet client with that look? (referring to my bald head again)
– Do you wear that stud to work? (referring to the stud below my lips)
– Engineer looks like that? (referring to my curly, over the top, or coloured hair)
– If I am your boss, I will not hire you to work with your bald head, pierced lip and tattoo on your back.
– You look more like a VCD seller.
– Why you shaved your head? Sart luin? (broken hearted?) Frustrated? Why?
I also have few work shirts which probably to some people the ‘design’ and colour not suitable for an engineer?? This part I do not get it until now. It was a comment by a senior engineer where I work before. He was commenting on my stripe, dark purple shirt. WTF?
Not that I was offended because I know some people are quick to judge. Just to clear some things on my side:
1. I do not wear the stud to work. Probably never do it in this part of the world where people are so hype up and judgmental over a piece of metal ball under your lips.
2. I do not have any visible tattoos (yet..) so people do not know that I have it if I do not tell or show. I definitely will not show it to my boss or colleagues, but if they get to know about it from somewhere, too bad. What is a piece of drawing(s) on my body has to do with my capabilities at doing my work?
3. Working attire, I think as long as I stick to the office wear, what colour, stripes, cutting should be my personal choice. As long as I do not wear singlet or hot pant to work. Just because you wear boring, stupid looking shirt because you think it is an ‘engineer look’ I should follow suit? Please.
4. I do not see having a bald head is a problem. There are many bald uncles in the office, on the streets, they are everywhere but nobody complains. Just because I am young and yet to reach that old fart stage where you will have receding hairline, hair loss, diminished testosterone hormone resulting in ugly looking bald shiny head, I cannot opt to have that ugly look bald head now? Just treat me as one of the ugly looking shiny bald head uncle that still look young and horny, capisce?
5. Having a bald head is that bad? Must went through some kind of depressing, heart wrenching trauma and suffering then you are allowed to shave your head? Oh, something must be wrong with the guy that he shaved his head? So fine if I do not look good enough sporting a bald head like Michael Scofield or Lex Luthor, so yes I do not look like one of your often fantasized sexiest bald men, but does it matters? Leave me with my fugly looking shiny bald head shall we? It is getting too much attention it more that it should get, so why don’t we talk about my dick size now? ?
Ps: I am tired of people talking about my bald head.
Pss: Please talk about my dick size. Speculate it if you want.
Psss: I am not referring to any individual out there reading this so please do not think this post is all about you, or because of what you said. You are not that significant to me, you are nothing. Jangan perasan lebih. I just need to rant. That’s it.
Pssss: It is fun to observe how people think what a person you are because of how you look, dress. In a way they will not quite understand you if you do not want them too. Uber cool defense mechanism. Keep them crawling in the dark.
Limp Bizkit – Take a Look Around